Wednesday, December 07, 2011

The Holiday Spirit Of Giving

"Instead of a gem, or even a flower, we should cast the gift of a loving thought into the hearts of family and friends, that would be giving as the angels give." 




This week I was out shopping and found myself inside Hallmark looking for wrapping paper, bows, ribbons and a get well card.  A few feet away I saw boxes of beautiful old English style Christmas cards and it brought me way back to my childhood memories, when mailing out our cards was an important and special part of the holiday tradition.

Sadly, I don't think I've "mailed" a card out in years to anyone!  In the store, I could feel the sadness and guilt setting in, so I made a decision to return to this tradition and just that thought restored my cheer and enthusiasm of the holidays.  These simple, yet sentimental activities really do bring about enormous pleasure once you get started!

I have been trying much harder this Christmas to teach my children about the true spirit of giving.  At my daughter's school, they are busily collecting food items to donate to those families who are less fortunate than our own.  She originally said that she had to bring in just three items to receive a free ticket for the dance.  I questioned her with the idea of not stopping at three, after all the food drive is not about the dance, it's about helping to feed the hungry, and how can we ever demonstrate and feel compassion towards others if we don't take the time to stop and think about whole situation.  We do not know what it feels like to be hungry.  After thinking about it from that perspective, she has wanted and asked to bring food in every day, she's brought in over fifty items so far and has set a positive example to the rest of her class.  She is encouraging others to follow the same and I couldn't be more proud of her!

The next thing we'll be doing in honour of the gift-giving spirit, is visiting a toy store and purchasing a toy to donate to a local charity drive.  The only purchase from the store will be the donated gift (we will not shop for ourselves at the same time!), which I will let my daughter pick out.  Then we will drop it off together.

I'm hoping my daughter, and son too though it's harder for him to understand, will realize that Christmas has many important messages and meanings, but we must try hard to remember the true spirit of giving at this time of year.  We must feel the gratitude for what we have and never forget those less fortunate who depend on our compassion and help at Christmas and all throughout the year.  We should keep everyone in our thoughts and prayers at Christmas.

My video for today is one of my favourite Christmas tunes to get us all in that cozy spirited mood for "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas"...
  


And thank you all for your movie suggestions and supporting the idea...I think I'll do a couple leading up to Christmas.  Look for them week December 26-30th!

Cheers!
Linda

12 comments:

Margaret said...

I love your quotes, pictures, videos and positive messages. I try to send a few cards each year but I should try this year to mail more out. I bet my close friends would be both touched and surprised to receive something in the mail from me.
Margaret

Deb said...

I agree, your quotes and pictures are always nice, especially in today's.
You are right about being charitable, we all feel it but how often do we actually act on those thoughts. I'm going to do more this year.
Deb

Terez said...

It's true, $5 of food would go a long way if everybody did it.
Helping your daughter understand the reasons we give makes you a very good mother!
Terez

Josie said...

You have inspired me to do something special for the less fortunate...this time of year, especially this season they should not be forgotten
Josie

Anonymous said...

I have decided to send out five Christmas cards so that I don't overwhelm myself! I want to make sure I follow through..
After reading your blog and watching the video twice, I feel more in the spirit of Christmas and giving. Thank you.
K

Anonymous said...

Christmas reminds us to care and may God bless everyone.

Jen said...

I still send out my cards because my family is spread out all over the globe!
But I did need your gentle reminder to give more to those less fortunate and include my children in that process.
Jen

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda - I love your messages, just want to add that many families this time of year need our help not just food, toys but our time. If we can donate some time and volunteer that is something really needed too!
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Vicki said...

I loved this post!
The true spirit of Christmas is definitely in the giving and we should not forget that..love the video, it got me off to a great start this morning!
Vicki

Nazifa said...

I'm going to send some cards out too. It only takes a few extra minutes, but people we are thinking about will be touched by our thoughtfulness.
You so often have good ideas that I know, but forget about...
Nazifa

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I find myself wishing I had better circumstances, but it is a nice reminder to be grateful..I do not know what it feels like to be hungry. Makes our complaints seem so trivial compared to that, doesn't it?
R

Linda said...

Thank you all for your comments!
We really are blessed compared to many.
Linda