Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I Shall Not Walk Alone

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet.  Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired and success achieved."...Helen Keller


No matter what individual beliefs we hold, the poem "Footprints in the Sand", by Mary Stevenson, I'm sure we can all agree is not only beautiful, but one we can derive strength and comfort from.

There are times in life when our natural curiosity looks to find answers concerning our existence; "what is our purpose?", "how did we get here?", "what will happen at the end?"...there are many different, yet similar religions available to study to help guide our spirituality in the direction we choose to believe. 

I personally believe that no matter our specific religious differences, we are all here for a common purpose and that's to keep evolving as a species that represents a shared vision of goodness that is necessary to ensure both the survival of our planet and of all humanity.  I believe we are all given something at birth, whether we call it a soul, a guided spirit, something that will witness and measure how we're doing throughout our gift of life.  I think all our actions and intentions are accumulating somewhere as we go along,  therefore we should never "claim" to be "a good person", but rather acknowledge that we should always try to be better.  Our conscience will also be our guide to not only keep us from straying from the right path, but will, when asked, provide us with an extra source of strength during the times when we need it most.  I feel through our actions we are responsible for our individual journey, but through our beliefs, we are not alone during it.

I hope this wasn't too deep for a Wednesday morning!  I think it being the last day of the month, and as we're approaching another new beginning, I was just feeling a little more spiritual than usual today.

Today's video is a very beautiful song, which I discovered on my favourite show Lost from season one's episode "Confidence Man".







The song being played at the end of the episode is called "I Shall Not Walk Alone", performed by the Blind Boys of Alabama, a wonderful gospel group whom I have just found out today are actually all blind.  The lyrics are beautiful and extremely moving...here is a bit of it as it was featured on Lost.  Enjoy!




Have a wonderful day!
Linda

8 comments:

Margaret said...

Beautiful. I can't think of anything else.
Margaret

Deb said...

Love how we see Sayid at the end walking off along the beach alone, yet we know he is not...

Deb

Anonymous said...

This was a great episode in Sawyer's development..he's no longer alone either, he found Kate as a friend who understands him better than anyone ever had before.
K

Vicki said...

I like how you wrote that our own conscience is both guiding us and making us responsibility for our life, but that we can also use it to reach out to another source for strength too.
Vicki

Anonymous said...

I was crying before the ending of the song....i needed a good cry.

S

Josie said...

Linda-the poem footprints at the beginning and ending with I Shall Not Walk Alone was a clever way to begin and end your blog. It was a very moving read today.
Josie

Anonymous said...

this was as you say very moving, the poem and the song. i agree that we are guided, yet still responsible for our choices

Anonymous said...

I actually have this poem framed in my home. It is beautiful and heartwarming and I read it almost every day and it brings me great comfort.