Thursday, July 28, 2011

It's Time To Listen

"The outcome of any serious research can only be to make two questions grow where only one grew before"...Thorstein Veblen




The small print at the bottom of the graph reads "recent research has indicated that changes in diagnostic practices may account for at least 25% of the increase in prevalence over time, however much of the increase is still unaccounted for and may be influenced by environmental factors." - full story at:   click here for more information from Autism Speaks


When you look at the rise in autism in a graph like this, a picture truly does speak a thousand words.  Parents have long believed this sharp rise in autism to be real, as well as educators, teachers, principals, child care workers, pediatricians, dentists, and anyone who works closely with young children.  In addition, the general population is believing the rise is real and mostly still unexplained, not because of what they hear in the news, but because they see our children in their extended families, in their friend's children, in their neighbourhood, and in the community we share.  And this is happening all over the world.  Pretty much everyone now knows someone with autism.

People naturally are worried and have questions.  If I was pregnant now as opposed to 1998, I would want to know the risks for my baby.  Ten to Fifteen years from now, my daughter, nieces and nephews will want to know their risks when planning a pregnancy.  People have a right to have complete, honest and unbiased communication and open discussion opportunities.  I hope this happens more regularly in the future.

So what are the risks of your child developing autism?  There is no doubt there is genetic influence, that has been known for a long time, but please do not think you are safe because you have never seen autism in your family (parents, grandparents and so on).  It used to be rare and that is why parents of children with autism born in recent years are shocked, confused and terrified when they realize what's happened.  We never expected this to happen.  What we are now learning through recent research is that the environment (womb environment plus environment one year following birth) may play a greater role in the risk than previous research suggested, and a greater role than genetics alone.  The results of a twin study was published online on July 4, 2011 in the Archives of General Psychiatry:  Genetic Heritability and Shared Environmental Factors Among Twin Pairs with Autism, the conclusion:  susceptibility to ASD has a moderate genetic heritability and a substantial twin environmental component.  click here to read Autism Speaks news release on this study .

I am personally delighted to hear of results that may shift the focus of future research (and of course the funding) from genetics only to a combined genetics/environmental approach.  This makes more sense, it has always looked to me and many other parents that genetics alone was not responsible for the sharp rise in autism - something else was triggering it and that's a scary thing.  Thank heavens we may finally be heading in the right direction in understanding what's really going on, and the more we know the more we may be able to prevent this from affecting so many children.

Now moving on to a lighter side.  Today is my father's birthday and he passed away 9 years ago.  He loved his two grandchildren, and was so happy we named our son after him.  They brought him the greatest joy in his last four years of life. 

My dad was most of the time a quiet proper Englishman, and was not all that amused by television.  I think he secretly liked watching tv with me though, and I do recall him really getting a kick out of this extremely funny and popular scene from "All in the Family", he talked about it often and really liked it.  It's about a sock and sock and a shoe and a shoe...it's really funny, Enjoy!


 

We miss you Dad.  But I really enjoyed this laugh with you today.  Got to love Archie Bunker!


Cheers to you,

Linda

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update on new autism research! I'm going to read the full study later. Finally maybe some answers?
BTW, I nearly choked on my tuna sandwich watching that old video, I think your dad and mine would have gotten along. They drink to old guinness goodness too!

Margaret K

Linda said...

Oh your comment about choking on your lunch made me laugh. It really was funny wasn't it? That show really was a hit in its day. Wasn't it the first show to feature the sound of a toilet flushing? Funny. I wish humour could be so simple today!
Yes I welcome more answers as much as everyone. Keep fingers crossed.

Linda

Diane said...

I liked your quote at the beginning and read the article you had recommended. I used to have a prof who taught us if a study finds all that the investigators anticipated, then it really didn't find anything...studies that find unexpected results are the good ones.

Happy birthday to your dad.

Diane.

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda-I needed that laugh this morning..one of those mornings..I agree completely with you on research - genetics and environment is the way to go, I've always felt my difficult pregnancy contributed in some way so I'm very curious.
Happy belated birthday to your dad,

Linda said...

Hi Diane,

I loved the comment from Peter Szatmari, head of child psychiatry and behavioural neurscience at McMaster, and the most influential and renouned autism researcher in Canada: "This is a very significant study because it confirms that genetic factors are involved in the cause of the disorder...but it shifts the focus to the possibility that environmental factors could also be really important".

That's both a huge and encouraging statement!

Linda

Linda said...

Hi,
I too felt that my induced labour or something else during pregnancy may have contributed..I hope they find more answers.
I often think to myself, if my husband and I had our son 20 years earlier, would this have still happened? The genetics would be the same, but not the environment.

Wish I had that frozen donkey wheel from Lost in our backyard to time travel and find out! (lol)

Linda

Anonymous said...

I agree the quote at the beginning of your blog is amazing fits so perfectly with the study results.
Good blog,

Anonymous said...

"wish I had a frozen donkey wheel in our backyard to time travel and find out"

Linda, I'm going to whisper this to you..."you cannot change the past, whatever happened, happened"

Daniel Faraday (I'm too serious a person to laugh out loud)