Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Gratitude Rocks!

" I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder."...G.K. Chesterton



I recently heard a funny story about myself.  Some in my family were recalling a period from a long time ago when they just seemed to be having one bit of bad luck after another.  On top of the difficulties, they were coping with the day-to-day struggles of raising a young family, including twins.  Feeling exhausted from it all, they invited my husband and I over one Sunday afternoon, possibly to cheer them up.  Well apparently I arrived tired from all the fun we had the night before, and was complaining about how I had slept in and didn't have time to read the Sunday newspaper!!  Needless to say, I don't think I cheered them!

Obviously back then I was taking some of life's simple pleasures (sleeping in) for granted and not feeling grateful for what I had.  What I wouldn't give now to sleep in..I'd be happy for just one "good night's sleep" once in a while!
   
About four years ago, I read a book (and watched the movie) called "The Secret".  Like many, I too became fascinated by some of the ideas introduced, such as the Law of Attraction.  I didn't completely believe everything I read though, such as getting things like a new house or a new car just by thinking the right way for them..seriously we all know there are only two ways to get stuff: debit or credit!  But what I feel has changed my life forever was really learning how to be grateful, and the Secret did show me how.

The basics are to have an awareness of the things in life that make us happy and are thankful for, and to spend time each day remembering them, and feeling grateful for them.  The first step to remembering is to write them down.  Get out a piece of paper and start writing!  It may be difficult at first, but once you get going, it's amazing how much comes out and you'll feel blessed after doing it.

The next step is easy.  Find a little rock which will become a symbol for everything you're grateful for and then begin to carry it with you throughout your day.  Each time you see it, think of something you are grateful for and give thanks.  The idea of this exercise is to shift your energy from focusing on what you don't have and complaining to what you do have and feel grateful.  The more often you stop for a second to remember and give thanks, the happier you will feel.  My experience is that it places me in a better mood and I seem to be more naturally optimistic. 


These are my gratitude rocks.  The little black stone was the one I carried with me for about a year.  They are held in the precious hands of my two kids; the left hand is my son's, the right is my daughter's.  I am grateful to share life with them (I am also grateful they cooperated and gave me a helping "hand" this morning for the picture!).  Thank you kiddos!

I still have my gratitude list I wrote four years ago and I read it today.  Not only am I still grateful for all that was written, I've got a whole lot more to add!  And I don't mean material possessions (they haven't changed much!), I just mean that I'm now able to be happy from a wider variety of things in life.

My video today is fittingly "What a wonderful world", it reminds me of two special things, my wedding, and dancing with my dad at my wedding.



Cheers and have a wonderful day!

Linda


3 comments:

Diane said...

I am very sleep deprived and have been for a long time. When I am able to catch up on my sleep, I often feel what a blessing it is to be able to sleep as much as your body needs to...your blog cheered me up. Thanks!

Diane.

Linda said...

Hi Diane,
It's so true, we're all sleep deprived..I look forward to the smell of coffee brewing each morning...strong coffee!!
Your comment connects me with my blog from Tuesday "choices", it's one thing both career and stay at home mothers definitely have in common - no sleep. We all can relate to that feeling!
Thank you for your comments!
Linda

Anonymous said...

Linda I agree with you to count our blessings and count them often. The video was just beautiful.