Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Art of Advocacy

"Our job is not to take on the role of advocate.  Rather, our job is to provide the individuals or parents with the resources and support so that they have the skills, knowledge and strength to take on whatever issues are facing them.  Sometimes they just need someone to listen to them, but other times they need to know where to turn and what to do."...Ivor Weiner



Sometimes I forget how difficult it was for me around when my son was entering kindergarten.  I had a full time job, two young kids, a fairly recent diagnosis of autism and to say the least, I was overwhelmed.  I didn't have a clue how to advocate for my son's needs as I was still learning what they were myself.  I was content enough to have someone else write out his IEP and inform me how things were going to be carried out.  I also think the school was equally content with my nodding my nervous head in approval of everything "they" recommended.

As time went on, and I became more of an expert on his needs and more knowledgeable on how to best support him, I tried to have a bigger role in his education experience.  Unfortunately, I waited too long and when I was finally called in to attend a case conference, it was because his behaviour had reached a crisis level.  With my stress up and naturally everyone else's, let's say my first attempt at advocating was far from perfect.  When his behaviour became more and more let's say "complicated", I became more and more determined to help, but my communication style was way off, and I soon realized that if I was going to be of any help to him as he proceeded through school, I was going to have to learn how to advocate effectively.  I think one day I actually google searched exactly that "how to advocate effectively" "ontario" "education" "help".  I found a person who actually delivered training workshops (and if I'm not mistaken they were either free or of little expense) on how to write out effective "needs statements" and how to communicate with the school board.

The most important tip I got from the training was that we all need to know not what the "school will do" or what "we want" them to do, but what is "required" of the board regarding supporting our children.  This is where it's important that we know a little bit of the education act (laws), and no matter where you live in the world - I'm sure it's in writing somewhere in a public document.  The more you know, the stronger you (and I) become in our advocating. Knowledge is power!

When it comes to communicating with the school, know what is most important to you for your child (for me it was supporting positive behavior), and advocate strongest in that area first.  Put things in writing, and if they say they can't deliver something that you feel they ought to be able - ask them to state their reasons - in writing!  Allow for some give and take, be confident, friendly and respectful and expect you and your child to be treated the same.

Throughout this summer, I will try my best to provide more information in this area and link it into my blog.  I have always found it helpful to visit the principal a week or two before school starts to touch base and set up an early September meeting to develop the IEP collaboratively.  Visiting in August will help set a friendly tone to the new year and will help your child be met with more success come September.

My video for today - this is pure nostalgia - theme from everyone's favorite classroom (from 1970) - room 222.  Oh that's really getting old - I barely remember this popular show, but I've never forgotten the song - it's a very sweet, relaxing little tune!!  Enjoy!





Cheers!
Linda

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG - Walt Whitman High School! I havn't thought of that show in decades. Nice blog.

Linda said...

My older brother watched the show. I can't remember much, but the theme song has triggered memories of long ago and simpler times.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Linda. Your blog is making me think about things and plan more for what's coming up the fall.
BTW I've never watched that 222 but listened to the theme, you are right, it reflects simpler times and the tune is a soothing melody.