Friday, November 11, 2011

Remembrance Day

"The angels are always near to those who are grieving, to whisper to them that their loved ones are safe in the hand of God"...quoted in the Angels' Little Instruction Book, by Eileen Elias Freeman, 1994



Today as we both honour and remember our brave service men and women, those who paid the ultimate price with their lives during World War I and II, Korean War, Afghanistan, Libya and various other conflicts as well as peace-keeping missions, we can as a nation, share a common sentiment in an age of cynicism, that "the values of our veterans held many decades ago, are still very much alive today in those who continue to serve our great country"...Stephen Harper.  Canada's men and women in uniform share a traditional sense of respect for institutions, authority and public trust.

So today, on this eleventh day of the eleventh month and for the first time ever, the eleventh year, we will collectively share a moment of silence on the eleventh minute of the eleventh hour, and remember our heroes, our veterans.



If I may on this post today, I would also like to write a special remembrance to my uncle Earl, who passed away this week at the age of 83.  I write a lot on my blog about trying hard to not let things get us down, to try and be happier, to show gratitude and enjoy life, for it's a precious gift that we are given, and should not be wasted, not even a single day.  My uncle very bravely fought a painful illness for fifteen years, but the pain didn't kill his spirit of living.  He enjoyed life to the fullest, along with his wife of 59 years and children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  Even with being blessed with eighty-three years, he would still be the first to say "life's too short".  I will remember him as having a zest for life, and often wearing a smile or sharing a joke.  God bless you, and may peace be forever with you.




With warm thoughts and happiness,
Linda

9 comments:

Margaret said...

That was beautiful Linda, and my sympathies to your family. You and your uncle looked sweet dancing together. (I'm just assuming that was you..)
Margaret

Linda said...

Thank you Margaret. Yes that was me in the picture, my wedding day twenty-one years ago.
Linda

Deb said...

Very nice. I think today is a reminder that life's special, use it well, be grateful for it and for the sacrifices others made for us.
My sympathies to your family, Linda. I agree with Margaret, that's a really sweet looking picture of the two of you dancing.
Deb

Anonymous said...

Life is too short, and you just never know...
My sympathies to you and your family on your loss. Love the picture too.
K

Josie said...

Loved the whole blog.
My prayers to your family on their loss.
I cannot believe you've been married 21 years. You look very young in your blog photo!
Josie

Vicki said...

Sorry I missed reading this Friday.
Linda-you continue to have the right outlook on life..it's too short, don't let the day to day grind get us down, and live life happier. I am each day becoming more aware of this.
My sympathies to your family..it is a very cute pic of you and your uncle.
Vicki

Terez said...

When someone passes away, it puts life into perspective, that's for sure. And we all owe our lives and should be forever grateful to those who serve our country, and make sacrifices for it and for all of us.
Terez

Cathy said...

Nice blog and I'm sorry for your family's loss.
Cathy

Anonymous said...

I know we all think we have the toughest times to deal with (because they are ours and we're living with them), but what you wrote about your uncle living with a painful illness and still keeping a healthy spirited heart, is something we can all listen to and try to take a positive message from.
R