Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Cast Away - A Story Of Hope, Love and Faith

"Hope is about believing in the potential in us for a life that is greater than the one that our frightened and limited ego has designed, a wisdom larger than our thinking mind can muster, and a love wider than that which we embrace our immediate circle of friends."...David Richo


I realize I overuse this picture on my blog, but my rocks and those precious little hands (belonging to my kids) are my constant source of inspiration.

My daughter is currently reading "The Hatchett" in her grade six reading program.  It's about a thirteen year old boy whose plane crashes and then finds himself alone on the shores of an island to survive with nothing except a hatchett.  Now, that sounds like a novel study I would look forward to!  I love tales of survival.

Yesterday, she came home and excitedly stated that her class is planning to watch the movie "Cast Away", and that I should feel jealous as it's one of my favourites.  I guess I was a little jealous so I watched the movie again.  I'll be frank with you, I have watched this movie several times and never tire of it.  This is because Cast Away is a fascinating tale about the human spirit's indomitability and the overpowering need we have to believe in something.

In Cast Away, Tom Hanks plays Chuck, a time-sensitive (obsessed) FedEx systems analyst whose cargo plane goes down somewhere in the south Pacific on Christmas eve.  He's left alone on a deserted island with no modern day conveniences such as his trusted pager and cell phone.  How ironic it was for him, a man who lived by the clock, speed meant everything, never quite having enough time, not even enough to propose to his girlfriend before boarding the ill-fated plane, to be stuck on an island with nothing but all the time in the world!

The only tools he had for survival were the contents of a few washed up FedEx parcels. His physical survival was the least interesting part of the movie for me.  We knew from his background that he was an intelligent, creative problem solver, who was also a certified sailer.  His basic needs were swiftly met, well, with the exception of making fire.  The only time on the island we actually saw him happy was when he finally succeeded in this troublesome task..








But there was so much more to this movie than basic island survival.  This movie has come to mean a lot to me for the pondering of the mental survival components, how can one survive through the boredom, the isolation, the dire conditions without losing hope that one day rescue will come?  How can you survive and stay motivated year after year under those conditions?  I think for Chuck, it came down to love, faith and having a mission - to keep one package intact so that one day he will deliver it.  This package was decorated with angel wings and symbolized hope for his future.



Inside another FedEx package, he found a volleyball, which Chuck transformed into a faithful companion as well as his "alter ego", named Wilson.  Wilson helped him cope with the social isolation he experienced throughout the four long years he was forced to endure otherwise alone.





He also had a picture of his girlfriend inside a broken pocketwatch.  His love for her gave him constant strength to keep going and kept him connected to his past and the outside world.  A world he hoped to someday return to.   


So I believe he survived with the help of having a link to his past (the picture of his love), a companion in his present (Wilson), and a goal for his future (deliver the package).

Well, there was one more thing he had with him and that was God, or a spirit that helped him through a desperate time.  In this scene he describes a "feeling of warmth" that came over him and then he knew that he had to have faith, to believe, to have hope even though logic says there was none.  He had to keep on breathing because "tomorrow the sun will rise". 





That was a beautiful message in the movie.  It's so inspiring.  Times can get tough, incredibly tough, but we can always count on the sun rising again and we have to keep going on.  Life is a precious gift and we should never forget it.  I also liked how he acknowledged that although he was sad to have lost Kelly again, he was grateful that she was with him on the island.  Even in despair, he was still grateful so I knew something good was soon going to come his way!   

So, of course the sun did rise again for Chuck and what was that "something good" that the tide brought in the next day?





I love this ending.  He has choices now.  But I think from that little smile we can also assume he will have a future with Bettina and maybe that was meant to be.  After all, a part of her was also with him on the island all those years.  And when he finally delivered the package he enclosed a note that said "This package saved my life.".

Great movie!  If you have seen this movie, I would love to hear your thoughts and interpretations.

Cheers!
Linda

32 comments:

Margaret said...

Hi Linda - I think you have a special gift of seeing more than most do. When I saw this movie years ago, I was just mad that Chuck and Kelly to not get back together! I'm going to watch it again though because there are really positive messages that I seemed to have missed!
Margaret

Deb said...

I agree with Margaret that you, Linda, are able to see things differently. I thought this movie was really sad and I didn't like the ending. But then again, I did not pick up on the whole package, hope, destiny stuff or the positive messages he learned from the experience. I'm going to watch it again.
Deb

Josie said...

I liked Cast Away overall. But I saw it mostly as a basic survival movie. I think when it was released, it was the same year as the tv show "Survivor" and I loved that show in the beginning.
I didn't like the whole Chuck/Kelly relationship, and was happy he/she moved on at the end.
Josie

Linda said...

Hi - I'm glad you all have at least seen the movie!
The first time I watched it, I did not see the complete messages either. I loved the plane crash sequence and found his relationship with Wilson to be heartbreaking. I did not like the Chuck/Kelly part of the movie, but she did have an important place as part of his island survival.
I'm glad he found Bettina in the end!
Linda

Margaret said...

What..you didn't want him to live happily ever after with Kelly after waiting 4 years to be reunited with her? That made me cry (lol).
Margaret

Linda said...

The only scene I liked between those two was when he stopped the car at the end and they ran to each other in the rain. That put closure to it all, they loved each other.
I don't think they were suited for each other as a couple and I don't think she would have married him. But the love was there.

Terez said...

So do you believe that it was all about destiny in the end?
I never thought about that, that's very interesting.
Terez

Anonymous said...

I liked this movie, but after reading your post - I'm starting to love this movie. Why do you think he may have been destined to be with the girl at the end? Other than delivering the package.
K

Vicki said...

If you think Chuck/Kelly loved each other, but they weren't together, didn't that bug you? It bugged me. I think maybe I was a Helen Hunt fan at the time because she was on Mad about You. Maybe I would feel different now.
Vicki

Anonymous said...

I cried when Wilson floated away in the current and he couldn't "save" him.
R

Linda said...

Hi K,
The package was special because he found it on its own while exploring the island, it was not with all the others floating on the beach, he could have saved any of the packages to deliver later, but chose to save Bettina's because he liked the design, while he was on the island Kelly got married and Bettina got divorced. And they both liked Elvis music. They will probably dance to Elvis music at their future wedding!

Anonymous said...

I think you must believe in destiny?
K

Linda said...

Hi,
I'm not sure. I have beliefs but I'm continually searching...
I believe a higher power is guiding us, but we still have free will to make choices. We've got to have an open mind and heart to see things clearly, the whole picture, all possibilities. I think having positive emotions each day gets us to that point, not specific circumstances.

Linda

Margaret said...

I agree with you on that, Linda.
Margaret

Terez said...

But Chuck didn't have positive emotions on the island, he was so sad and depressed? I don't get it, the positive emotions helping part, helping him get off the island.
Josie

Anonymous said...

It was just luck. A sail came and he knew how to sail. So he built a raft. And he made it home.

Linda said...

Hi Terez,
You are right that we didn't see happiness from things that bring us small, short lived "pleasure", like buying a new pair of jeans or eating chocolate, and he does describe a period of being depressed and feeling hopeless...
But overall, he kept hope as we know he never threw away or opened the package he wanted to deliver (a very positive emotion), he kept his mind sharp by never losing track of time and staying healthy (was motivated) and was certainly happy when the sail came in and knew exactly what he had to do. He also showed creativity and courage. He never stopped loving Kelly when he was there. All of these are positive emotions that kept him going and led him home.

It was part luck that the sail came, but he first had to survive 4years, and if he lost hope or was depressed, he would not have had the strength or will to turn that portapotty into a sail. You have to be able to "see" those type of possibilities to find solutions

Linda

Anonymous said...

I think I'm still searching for answers to..I'm going to watch this movie again from new perspectives. Thanks!
K

Jen said...

Not seen this movie, but enjoyed your post and this discussion very much!
Jen

Terez said...

I like your theory, that hope and other positive emotions help you see your way.
I would like to believe in destiny..
Terez

Nazifa said...

When I watched this movie I felt sorry for him at the end re: his fiance. I hated the ending.
But when you see a movie from a fresh perspective it can take on a whole new meaning and I like the interpretation here.
Nazifa

ChristineH said...

I love the messages you derived from this movie. If you believe in fate or destiny, that's wonderful too.
ChristineH

Linda said...

Thank you all for your interest in this post! I am so delighted by this show of support!
I think this movie is a good example of how positive emotions can get you through the tough times.

I think I may include movies more often in the future. If there is a special movie (positive messages, happiness) that you would like me to write about here, send me an email or post a comment here.
Cheers!
Linda

Margaret said...

Oh what a great idea! I will get the ball rolling by saying that "It's a wonderful life" is a wonderful holiday classic.
Margaret

Josie said...

It may not be Christmasy, but I loved "Stand by Me". It's my favorite movie.
Josie

Anonymous said...

"A beautiful life" and "A beautiful Mind". I love both of those movies.
K

Terez said...

The Pursuit of Happyness. True story. Really good.
Terez.

Anonymous said...

The Sound of Music is a nice movie.

Deb said...

This is a fun idea. Most of the movies so far mentioned I know.
I like the Family Man. I watch it every Christmas. It stars Nicholas Cage.
Deb

Jen said...

The Goodbye Girl. I can't remember who plays in it, I think a young Richard Dreyfus?
Jen

Vicki said...

I like The Sound of Music, that's one of my favorites and Amelie

Vicki

BeckyW said...

This was a good blog, I never thought about it as destiny, but it all makes sense. They were destined to meet and be together, that was a good ending!
BeckyW

I like Titanic, even though it was sad in parts.