Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Greatest Love Of All

"In family life, love is the oil that eases friction, the cement that binds closer together, and the music that brings harmony."...Eva Burrows



Happy Valentine's Day, to my family, the best in the world.  I love you all soooo much!!  You're my greatest love of all!

I love Valentine's Day.  It's that special day where we can express to our loved ones how much they mean to us.  Yes, it's true that we shouldn't wait until one day rolls around to do this.  Love is definitely the most powerful of positive emotions and that power should be put to use every day of the year.  I believe in that.  But, that doesn't mean I'm not sentimental at heart and I do indeed love making an "extra special" day once in a while!

Our money is a little tight this Valentine's Day (I know, join the club!), so I didn't go crazy spending too much.  For my regular readers, you all know that I often talk about the best things in life being free anyway.  And simple, thoughtful gifts are the ones I most often gravitate towards.  I'll let you in on a secret...my family, myself included are each getting a much needed new pillow on their bed today, wrapped in a single red bow with a card enclosed.  I think they'll all be pleased!

For the past several years (arrival of kids), I have always told my husband to forget the flowers and candy and instead, we'll use that money to either all go out for dinner, or bring dinner home and we'll all watch a movie together.  The best Valentine's gift for me is an evening of not having to cook!  And of course I definitely do not need the chocolates if I want to keep my diet (New Year's Resolution) on track.  I'm having enough trouble as it is!

The above reminds me of a very funny recent episode of Family Feud.  During "fast money", the question was "Name an occasion where you might be tempted to cheat on your diet?"  We were all shouting out our answers "Valentine's Day", "Christmas" etc.  and the poor guy couldn't come up with an answer and time was wasting..he finally said "errrr.. when you want to eat something!"  Now, that's my kind of occasion!   We could not stop laughing at that answer!  As I say, it's the best medicine ever!

While it's true that I'm now more into "family Valentine's day" over the more romantic type, that doesn't mean I don't think about my special times with my husband from years ago.  I miss them too.  My husband every year, without fail, would send beautiful roses to my office.  Here's a picture:



Ahhhh what a sweetheart!

I hope whatever all of you have planned for this evening, whether it be with your spouse, your partner, your children or anyone else who's special to you, make a memory that you will cherish throughout your life.  Write it down in your journal how special the day was for you.  You will one day look back on the memories you make today, and they will warm your heart in your future.

My video for today is the song "Greatest Love of All", my favourite by the late (so tragic) Whitney Houston.  She sang this at the Grammy's 25 years ago.  She was a very special part of my history and I feel like a part of my life has died with her.  Her music was beautiful as well as inspirational.  Whitney, your music will live on in our hearts forever.  God bless you and rest in peace.






The lyrics of this song are so touching.  I just love it so much.

Have a wonderful Valentine's Day everyone!!

Linda

6 comments:

Margaret said...

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!
This was a perfect blog today, was sweet, made me laugh and made me cry a little (I too loved Whitney Houston).
Margaret

Deb said...

I think Valentine's Day is a celebration that grows over time, from our first valentine to our mother, to celebrating with our grandchildren (I don't have any of those yet!)..it just gets bigger and better every year. Not just a romantic holiday.
Deb
(RIP Whitney)

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day, All!
This was nice. Thanks for sharing some of your memories...your husband has nice taste in flowers, they were gorgeous (looks like you had lots of work on your desk to do, bet you don't miss that!)
K

AnnaB said...

you have a nice blog
I liked Whitney Houston too and I will miss her. Still in shock...
Anna

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I've been using and it's very helpful.

airborne webbing