Thursday, October 27, 2011

Be An Energizer

"The world of the 1990's and beyond will not belong to "managers" or those who can make the numbers dance.  The world will belong to passionate, driven leaders - those who not only have enormous amounts of energy, but can energize those whom they lead."...Jack Welch




The first resolution of my Happiness Project is focusing on boosting my energy levels.  I thought this a good place to begin as I'll need improvements in this area to ensure seeing my project through to completion.  Having sufficient energy is vital to happiness as well as success.  It's a measurement of good health as well.  For this reason, this commandment is the only one of my twelve that I'm focusing on throughout the entire project.  It's also the only one I'm keeping both a diary as well as recording statistics.

How is improving energy related to improving happiness levels, or being an energizer?  An energizer is someone who motivates others and leads by example - is positive, enthusiastic, a team player, and a high performer.  We want to associate with these type of people, engage with them, listen to them and know we'll be listened back.  We want to work with them, we want to live with them, we want and need them in our lives.  I believe that these positive qualities make peoples lives not only more interesting and passionate, but indeed happier.  So back to my question, is there a connection between having more energy (relating to diet, exercise and sleep) and being an energizer?  Based on my experiences and what I read - I'd have to say yes.

I worked as a Senior Accountant for a group of public companies back in the eighties and throughout the nineties.  I worked with individuals with titles ranging from Bookkeeper to Vice President and Chief Financial Officer.  There were many different personalities during my thirteen years that I can now clearly label as energizers.  And yes, my recollection remains pretty clear - they all had very healthy attitudes toward nutrition, exercise and sleep.

As I was preparing for this Happiness Project, I went through my work portfolio and found several letters of recommendation written for me back in 1999.  I'm glad I saved them because they really lifted my spirit.  "Linda is very much a team player, she's positive, enthusiastic and shows great flexibility in her ability to perform new tasks".  Ah that was nice...was I an energizer too?  I often wonder how I would be regarded today if placed in that same situation.  I'd like to think I'm just as positive and perky as I used to be, but I fear it's wishful thinking.  My current portfolio written by school principals and teachers write that I'm patient, caring, compassionate and knowledgeable.  Those are well suited qualities for what I'm currently doing, but I'll have to admit that I'd also like those around me to feel I'm a positive and enthusiastic person.  I'd like to remember what that feels like again.

One very good reason to focus on improving energy as an integral part of my project. 

I'd like to end today's post with a video clip from the X-Factor - a new show I'm really enjoying!  This is Drew - she's only 14, I really love her voice, and this song she performed Tuesday "What a Feeling!", was a favourite of mine from the 80's (remember Flashdance?), so uplifting and shall I say, energizing.  This version is quite different, but it's great, enjoy!




Be happy.  Be well.
Cheers!

Linda

14 comments:

Margaret said...

Oh my heavens...I'm so happy you are back with us! Missed your beautiful words.
I agree there is a connection between energy and happiness. I think the more energy we have, the more "help" we have to cope with life and keep us up. Great post.
I'm watching the X-Factor too. Drew is great and Leroy.

Margaret

Josie said...

Hi Linda - so happy your back.
I loved your post! JMHO - from the way you write - I cannot imagine anyone not thinking you are a positive person, with a positive attitude. Having more energy will definitely make you feel better.

Josie

Linda said...

Thank You for your kind words!!
I enjoyed writing this morning, hope to get back to my normal schedule soon.
Linda

Anonymous said...

Oh I would definitely agree with Josie that you are a very positive and influential person, your writings of the past several months are evidence of that.

Welcome back. Missed You!
K

Linda said...

Thank you K!!

Linda

Deb said...

Hi Linda - Glad you're back!!!

I wish you good luck with improving your energy levels as I know at our age it can be difficult. I would agree with you that it may transform you back into being the energizer bunny (lol). Seriously, I hope you know that you are a positive individual already, especially on this blog which is also generous - another good quality you have. If people whom you currently work with in education draw attention to skills such as patience and compassion, it's only because those qualities are respected and welcomed when working with young children, especially children with special needs and autism. I'm sure you haven't lost your old skills and if you ever return to professional accounting, it'll feel just like riding a bike.

Deb

Margaret said...

What..did I miss something? Of course Linda you are positive. You are the most positive person I don't know!

Margaret

Cathy said...

Hello everybody, this is my first time commenting here. I have actually read your blog Linda since June. I like it a lot and missed it.
I struggle with low energy so I'm interested to hear more of your results.
I believe better energy can create more energized personalities, but I would agree with the others that you are already there. I like your positive messages about happiness, laughter, kindness, getting along, gratitude. I feel good after I read your blog as well as entertained.
I watch X-factor too, love Drew and the man who was a former burrito maker, forgot his name..great voice.

Cathy


Cathy

Linda said...

Thank you all so much. Your positive words and humour
(Margaret, saying "I'm the most positive person you don't know", is a really funny line LOL!) mean a lot to me.

Cathy-thank you for taking the time to comment today. I love hearing feedback...especially positive feedback, so thank you!!

Linda

Margaret said...

Linda - what makes me LOL is that you spell humor humour.

Margaret

Linda said...

LOL. That's how we spell it in Canada (same as the U.K.).

Vicki said...

Hi Linda - welcome back!!

I would agree with your description of "energizers" as people who are enthusiastic. I'm not sure about the connection between that and being in good physical health, but it makes sense. There are always going to be exceptions, for example, someone who has mentored me, that I'd say was the epitome of being an energizer, was overweight and did not talk about diet, and exercise.
Vicki

Jasmine said...

Thank you for returning to your blog. I like it and missed it.
Jasmine

Anonymous said...

I think positive changes in one's diet, exercise and sleep pattern is always good, and will improve your health and well being (happiness)