Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween Days

"Once in a lifetime, one should be allowed to have as much sweetness as one could possibly want and hold."...Judith Olney



And my kids definitely know how to haul it in, even when they were just 6 and 4 years old!



I love Halloween!!  Some of my sweetest (no pun intended) memories with my kids have been from this last October day.  I remember dressing my daughter for her first real trick or treating experience when she was two.  She dressed up as Tigger the Tiger.  When my husband came home from work he was pretending he could not see his daughter anywhere and kept calling her name out and looking through the closets and under the beds.  Oh the giggles!  She kept saying "Daddy, I'm here, I'm here." and he kept on "No I only see Tigger!"  She finally took her head piece off to prove who she was.  It was all too cute!!!

Then there was the year my husband decided to shave his head, not for Halloween, just because he wanted to.  When he came home from work that Halloween, and told my son to lift his hat off to see his "costume", seeing his dad without hair scared him at first.  But soon, when he understood that his hair would eventually grow back, he enjoyed feeling his hands all over his head and laughing at it all, while I filmed the video.  That was also too cute!!

Now that they are 13 and 11, I feel that this year may be their last trick or treating time together.  I explained to them both that when they get older, Halloween is still celebrated, but differently.  It may be going to a party.  I've never stopped celebrating Halloween, and I don't ever intend to!

To everyone out there with young children - enjoy this time with your kids!  Make special memories with them for it's both their time and your's to enjoy the wonder and creativity of this fun and spooky season.

My video for today is my favourite childhood  Halloween episode of Happy Days.



I remember this episode scared me a bit when I was eight or nine - but it has some very funny moments too.  I'm going to watch it with my daughter today.  She's never seen it before, but I know she'll love it. 






At the end, Howard tells his family a joke he heard from a young trick-or-treater.   If you take the insides out of a hot dog, what have you got left?  A hollow-weinie.  Cute!

Yes, these Happy Days are your's and mine, these Happy Days are your's and my Happy Days!


Have a SAFE and HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Boo!
Linda       

5 comments:

Deb said...

Your kids are beautiful. I will take your message to heart because we should be enjoying our trick or treating more than we do. It's not another chore, it's a blessing.
Deb

Margaret said...

Poor Howard..the cute little princess called him a big ox after he dropped the apple on her cookie.

Maybe that's the real reason we stopped giving out apples to trick-or-treaters!

Margaret

Diane said...

Thank you for the reminder that it's a blessing and not a chore. I look forward to Halloween, but on the actual day, I often feel as if it's a chore. I will try a more positive attitude today.

Josie said...

I was just thinking that exact same thing!!! My husband and I fight over who gets to stay home and hand out the candy! I'm going out with my kids with a better outlook this Halloween.

Josie

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing some of your happy memories of Halloween.
Your kids are adorable.
K