Monday, June 27, 2011

Just like Reverend Scott

"resolve to be strong and fight for yourselves, and for others and those you love..and that part of God will be fighting with you all the way." ...taken from the guest sermon of Reverend Scott in the original movie version of "The Poseidon Adventure".




There is something about that movie that just draws me in, something much more than fond memories of a 70's classic.  I actually own the DVD, and watched it last night with my daughter.  It is a little cheesy in parts, I'll admit, but the character Reverend Scott (played by a young Gene Hackman), the unconventional preacher who basically delivers the message of not praying to god to solve your problems, but to pray to that god "within you" for guided strength, continues to inspire me to this day.  Throughout the movie, he literally had to practice what he preached, and was met with many detractors along the way, right from the start:




I loved this bit.  My daughter had the same reaction I did (nearly 40 years ago) when she heard him say a mild curse word!  Now I think the way he said it was very funny!  This character really pumps me up and motivates me to keep fighting for what I believe in, or to at least try and not give up.  Every time I watch this, I find it incredible how very few people actually tried and fought for their survival.  Were all the others too scared, or too lazy, and why weren't they listening to the voice of logic?  Instead they listened to the man "in uniform" who told them to stay put until help "arrived".  It didn't take very long into the movie to find out who they should have listened to!!

Another line later in the movie that stands out was when the main group, heading to the engine room, suddenly met up with a larger group led by the doctor, heading in the opposite direction.  Rogo fights with the preacher "what makes you think you're right all the time, maybe they're right, maybe we should follow them!", and Rev. Scott replied "That's brilliant! 20 people decide to drown, so that's alright..that's typical..everything by numbers".  Just because a larger group has decided something to be right, doesn't mean it is - we have to think for ourselves!

Of course the last words of Rev. Scott stand out above all others, when he gets angry at the end and addresses a speech to God.  He's tired, frustrated by having to face one obstacle after another in trying to get his group to safety and says "we came all this way with no help from you...we didn't ask you to fight for us, but dammit don't fight against us!".  And the way he delivers the line "how many more lives?" is worth the whole movie.  I get the goosebumps just remembering it now.

Well here is that scene, I could never describe it good enough, it's Linda's death, then Scott's sacrifice:

  

When I watched it last night, I noticed something for the first time.  As soon as he says to God "if you want another life, then take me", around that moment the steam stopped.  And that was their last obstacle.  It reminded me of Desmond's (tv Lost) conversation with brother Campbell (episode Catch-22), when he says to Desmond "perhaps you underestimate the power of sacrifice".  The scene was very emotional (and sad!), but Scott did inspire them, right until the end to not give up, to keep on fighting with his very last words "you can make it", "rogo..get them through!".  To me, this made the ending especially poignant:




I guess I'm just writing about this today because many of us out there right now are fighting, just like Reverend Scott, for something we truly believe in.  He was a hero who stood up against most to do good for people.  The only difference is we're not fighting for survival (thank goodness!), but we're fighting for those we love, for the rights and inclusion of our kids in their community, for better education, for earlier intervention and we're fighting for our seniors to receive better health care and home care when they need it.  And if we're not winning all our battles, we are not giving up, we keep trying to win, just as was said near the beginning of the movie "God loves tryers".  I'll bet many reading this are each day making small sacrifices for the good of others, especially those we love.

I thought it was a terrific movie - I'm sorry if I've spoiled it for anyone who hasn't seen it!  Even if I did, it's still worth watching the whole picture to experience the complete journey in its entirety.

I would love to hear about movies that have inspired you, like the ones you'd want to have if stuck on an island somewhere!

Cheers,
Linda

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice blog. Thought provoking and inspiring. Awesome movie.

Linda said...

Thank you!
The movie also won an academy award for Best Original Song, "The Morning After", really beautiful song that inspires hope.

Cheers,
Linda