Wednesday, June 01, 2011

After Thomas, After Lost

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."...Ben Williams

Last Thanksgiving, we welcomed a new addition to our family -- a puppy!!  She's a Cockapoo (part Cocker Spaniel and part Poodle).  We named her Penny - after a character in my favourite tv show Lost (Penny Widmore).  Penny's father's name is Copper, so the name I think is a good fit.  Here is her picture - I know, awww so cute!!  If you look closely, you'll see she has many "freckles"..hey another Lost character - great!!



Penny technically belongs to my daughter (and many times we are reminded of that!) as it was her birthday present and her idea to get a pup in the first place.  Secretly, I've wanted a puppy for a very long time, I was just afraid that it would upset the balance in our lives.  Also, I was worried that my son would not accept or adjust well to a dog having a permanent place in our home.  So far, I'm happy to report that things are going o.k - their relationship is still pretty much in the "neutral zone", but after eight months together without a single negative event - that's very positive news!

Of course I was deep down hoping for a breakthrough similar to the movie "After Thomas", a beautiful, heartfelt movie based on a true story about a boy whose severe symptoms of autism profoundly changed after his family brought home a Golden Retriever puppy, which he named Thomas, after Thomas the Tank Engine.  This movie was so well done, very realistic in its story-telling of life with autism - they didn't "sugar coat" over the stress, and I really appreciated that.  Some parts in the movie were gut-wrenching, but some also were funny and many were very poignant and sweet, especially the ending!!   For me, it's one of those endings that just verbally describing it to someone chokes me up...very emotionally satisfying.


 


For those who have not yet seen this movie, I would highly recommend it if you have been touched by autism in some way, but I honestly feel that it is so entertaining overall that most everyone would enjoy it.  Someone very kindly has uploaded the entire movie onto You Tube - into 9 parts.  Here is part one to get you started if you wish - Enjoy!

I would love to hear about other's experiences with adding a pet to the family!






I think now I'll go out and enjoy today's glorious weather, get a little exercise, and maybe get a few kisses too..."Penny - it's walky walky time!!"

Cheers,
Linda

2 comments:

Diane said...

Hi pickle wiht a puzzle,

I really enjoy reading your blogs. I'm planning to watch the first part of "After Thomas" taday at lunch.

I have heard (second source information) that families who adopt dogs as pets, have longer life expectencies and live in a happier home environment. I would love to have a puppy one day, when my kids are slightly older (5 and 7 yrs).

Will visit back again tomorrow.
D.

Linda said...

Hi D,

I'm so happy to hear you are enjoying my blogs! I very much enjoy writing them too. I would agree that dogs especially had happiness to a home, and I do believe there have been studies indicating they relieve stress, and improve both the mental and physical health of seniors. From my experience with my senior mother, her regular bedroom visits from Penny bring her great joy!
Hope you enjoy part 1 of "After Thomas", my daughter and I watched it yesterday and it definitely is not a movie that gets off to a slow start - lots of drama from the get-go, enjoy!

Linda