Thursday, June 23, 2011

Welcome Back..Kotter

"It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge"....Albert Einstein

Well here we are at the end of another school year!  Is it just me, or are the years getting shorter as we grow older? (or is it our patience!).  Time just seems to be flying by.  In one week, my daughter will be graduating junior elementary, next year will be my son's last at middle school then off to high school.  Where has all the time gone??

Today will be the last assembly I attend at the school my kids first joined seven years ago.  I can't help but feel a little jealous of the parents I see with their little kindergartners.  Now I feel like one of those "older" parents, one whose children are as tall as they are and perhaps twice a year attend a band concert or a spring play.  I'm afraid my time of seeing cute monthly assemblies are a thing of the past..no more treats to adorable hits such as "I'm a little pumpkin" "the penguin shuffle" or "dinosaur rock".

Only a very few times have I ended a school year feeling completely content with my son's placement for September.  The times he started in a new school were especially worrisome.  If you are feeling this way, it may help to set up a short meeting in August, before the September madness begins to get things off on the right foot.  It's important to work collaboratively from the start and meet any new people working your child, such as his new teacher or teaching assistant.  Things are more friendly and personal when you can place a face to the writings in a communication book!  It's also a good time to check out his classroom space and make sure all environmental supports (from prior school year) have been transferred over.

If your child had a "not so great" school year, and the home/school communication became a little difficult at times (it's happened to me!), there is still time to end the year on a positive note.  Even if this seems impossible, there is nothing worse than negative feelings festering all summer long.  Any cheerful words you can give your school principal and child's teacher will really mean a lot this time of year.  Taking the time to thank them all for their efforts will make everyone feel more positive and enthusiastic about September.

If you wish to show your appreciation to a special teacher with a small, yet thoughtful end of the year gift (and don't want to give the usual soap!), there are places that make beautiful autism themed jewelry, for example a bracelet with the autism puzzle piece charm.  I have both given and received gifts like this and they are probably the most well received gifts ever!!  People will be very touched by the sentiment!

Here is a link to one place that I know of that makes beautiful autism themed jewelry (sold world wide) at very affordable prices:

http://www.moonandbackbeads.net/JewelleryGallery.html





My video for today will feature everyone's favourite 70's teacher, Mr. Kotter! Welcome Back Kotter was a terrific tv show the first three seasons (how could anyone forget the sweathogs...Vinnie Barbarino, Arnold Horshack, Freddie (Boom-Boom) Washington and Juan Epstein).


What I liked about the show most was that the opening began with Mr. Kotter telling his wife Julie a joke, and it always started with "did I ever tell you about....






It's always nice to start your day off with a joke or two!  O.k., any time of the day works for a good laugh! 

Cheers!
Linda

No comments: