Thursday, June 02, 2011

Shake it up..with Laverne and Shirley

"Life gives us brief moments with another...but sometimes in those brief moments, we get memories that will last a life time."...author unknown

My daughter has just started watching a new show.  In my opinion, she has an old show with a new title!  Is it just me, but don't they all look the same, the shows for pre-teens that feature musically talented young popstars that we'll soon see in a Disney movie?  I know how I'm starting to sound...old!  Perhaps I am, but in "my day", stars on television were actors first and occasionally we were treated to a little song and dance where they showcased their lack of talent in those areas for comic relief!  It was those endearing qualities that warmed our hearts to them.

My show when I was 10 years old was "Laverne and Shirley", I'm sure everyone from my generation remembers them...shotz brewery, the pizzabowl, Lenny and Squiggy, the Big Ragoo, the big L on Laverne's sweater, milk and pepsi, high hopes, schlamiel schlimazel hasenpfeffer incorporated, and all that fun stuff...ahhhh nostalgia!


Here is a very funny short clip from an episode where Charles Pfister Crane tried to turn Laverne and Shirley into a singing group called "The Rosebuds"  - here it is - enjoy!!



When I found this on "you tube" and watched it, I could not stop laughing!!  Perhaps watching this clip unlocked all my cherished childhood memories of this hilarious show.  My daughter came over to me and very curiously asked "what's so funny mommy?" and I played this for her...she really did like it and I'm happy she did.

So then, I watched "her" show - Shake it Up.  And...I changed my mind, it was quite good too.  Selena Gomez definitely sings better than Laverne and Shirley.

Watching a special show with a special person makes the show..more special!  Thank you for including me!

I would love to hear about the favourite shows you watched with your parents or are currently watching with your children.

Cheers,

Linda

2 comments:

Diane said...

Hello pickle with a puzzle,

I used to watch "Laverne and Shirley" as well and loved the show...it was hilarious.

One of the shows that we've been watching lately with my son (7yrs) and my daughter (5yrs) is "according to Jim" or as my daughter says "recording of Jim". My son gets the jokes more than my daughter who gets ear to ear smiles whenever the kids do/say something funny. We also love watching "America's funniest videos". My son insists on sending a video to the show. I really enjoy watching family feud with my son. They have tons of movies that are very well done and I really enjoy watching the animated movies with them as well such as "Kong Fu Panda" and "Tangled" etc.

Love reading your blogs, keep writing.

D.

Linda said...

Hi Diane,

Thank you fo returning to my post, and your compliments are very encouraging!
We too watch According to Jim and we love many game shows..I've watched Family Feud since I was very little!
Kids say the cutest things, that why they usually win America's funniest home videos....
Cheers
Linda