Thursday, July 07, 2011

Thank You For Being A Friend!

"Friendship cheers like a sunbeam; charms like a good story; inspires like a brave leader; binds like a golden chain; guides like a heavenly vision."..Newell D. Hillis

A long time ago, I was going through a very difficult time.  I was losing hope of having something that I wanted more than anything in the world.  One day, my friend phoned me at work just to say hello, and I unloaded my grief and despair into her attentive ear.  She didn't know exactly what to say back to help, but just listening to me was the help that was appreciated most.  I was able to get through the rest of my work day, thanks to her.

Going home that evening, I thought to myself, "I must stop being a downer, perhaps my friend called because she needed me, maybe she had a problem, or maybe she had some good news she was hoping to share...I'm a terrible friend!"  Suddenly, I started feeling bad about myself all over again!

When I got home, within minutes the doorbell rang.  It was a delivery for me, from my friend.  Here is a picture of what she sent to me, and the card inside simply read "a gift to cheer you!"



Of course I started to cry all over again.  How did I ever get so lucky to have a true friend like her?  She knew exactly what I needed, not once but twice!  That's the most beautiful quality of a friendship...to understand and be understood.  I called her up and told her just that.  Her gift to me brought me so much joy, that I think it had almost magical effects...

That was 14 years ago, and I'm happy to say that my problem was soon after resolved and our friendship continues to grow and change with the changing times.  I am very grateful for my friendship with her, and today just seems to be the perfect day to let her know that.

On your birthday, I wish you nothing but the best, now and in the future..and many many happy returns!

And of course, "Thank you for being a friend":





Cheers!
Linda

No comments: