Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Love, Hope and Believe

"My friends, love is better than anger.  Hope is better than fear.  Optimism is better than despair.  So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic.  And we'll change the world."...Jack Layton, in his final letter to Canadians, written on August 20, 2011.


Yesterday, Canada lost one of its most courageous and inspirational leaders to cancer.  "Jack Layton will be remembered for his personality and his dedication to public life.  We have all lost an engaging personality in a man of strong principles."..Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

Harper also commented that he and Jack Layton were both musicians however, their busy schedules regretfully got in the way of them getting together to "jam".  He says it's a reminder for all Canadians to make time for friends and loved ones -  before it is too late.

I never thought I would ever completely agree with Stephen Harper on any matter, but this one I do.  It was just two days ago, my girlfriend and I went out for lunch, shopping and a movie, something we had not done, just the two of us, in well over a year.  We said exactly that - let's make a point to see each other more often because, well, we're getting older and it's important we stay together now more than ever before.  There is nothing more special, and more needed than time well spent with a loved one.  And time with a special friend surely fits that description.

Mr. Clayton, if there is a special way to honour your memory, I will carry on your wish to be "loving, hopeful and optimistic".  I share that sentiment and ask that my readers remember the same when they see this picture on my blog - my gratitude rocks held in the hands of my two children:



And I would also encourage my readers to call a friend and make plans for a special get together.  If I can recommend a move to you, my friend and I saw "The Help", and it was the best movie by far that I've seen in a long time.  It will make you laugh.  It will make you cry.  Perhaps those two things are what we need most right now.  Here is the trailer, if you would like to consider this fine, superbly written and acted movie:



Canada will miss you, Jack.  Canada will also never forget you.

Linda

3 comments:

Margaret said...

We should cherish each day and our time we those we love.
Beautiful post, and thanks for the movie recommendation.
Margaret

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how your gratitude rocks picture match his last wishes to fellow Canadians. Love, Hope, Believe.

K

DeB said...

I had already saved that inspiring photo on my homepage...now it takes on a whole new meaning. Beautiful post.

Deb