Friday, September 09, 2011

My Happiness Project

"Work harder to appreciate your ordinary day."...Gretchen Rubin.





Work harder to appreciate your ordinary day.  I liked that quote so much I just decided to take a couple of pictures of one piece of my rather ordinary Friday afternoon this September 9th.  I have lots to appreciate about today, we have beautiful weather, my children are both healthy and happy at school, my husband and I are still in love and yesterday celebrated our 21st wedding anniversary, we live in a beautiful lakeside community where I can enjoy some peace and solitude, or like I just did, grab my mp3 player and my dog and really get moving!  It is an ordinary day, but that shouldn't stop me from appreciating what I have right now.

In my last blog I announced I would be starting my own "Happiness Project", as inspired following my reading of Gretchen Rubin's book of the same name.  In her book and on her website:  visit her website here, Gretchen describes a "happiness project" as an approach to changing your life.  Everyone's happiness project is unique.  The first step is the preparation stage, when you identify what brings you joy, satisfaction and engagement, and also what brings you guilt, anger, boredom and remorse.  Next comes the heart of the happiness project and that's the making of a list of resolutions, which embody the changes you want to make in your life. This list identifies the concrete actions that will boost your happiness.  Then comes the interesting part - keeping your resolutions!

I plan to follow Gretchen's approach and come up with twelve resolutions and focus on one each month.  Yes, this will be a one year project!  I am also going to follow something else she did and that was to create her own twelve overarching principles, aka The Twelve Commandments, which will serve as guidance and help during the struggles to keep my resolutions.

So this is the project in a nutshell.  I'm still in the preparation stage but believe it's reasonable to expect my specific commandments and resolutions to be shared well before the end of this month, with the official start date for resolution number one to be October 1st.  I'm very excited about the whole process!  I'm not doing this because I'm unhappy, I actually feel pretty happy already, but I could be happier as could everybody.  Of course, I will keep you posted on my progress often throughout the next twelve months.

Here is one of Gretchen's Ruben's videos about The Happiness Project, enjoy!



Have a happy and joyful weekend everyone!

Be well,
Linda 

4 comments:

Deb said...

I have seen this book, it's a bestseller...looking forward to reading about your project, resolutions and commandments!

Deb

Anonymous said...

You always find the right quote to match what you want to say, your dog is so cute. happiness project sounds like a lot of fun, may start one too.
K

Margaret said...

It's great you find time for yourself throughout the day. The Happiness Project sounds very interesting. Can't wait to read your resolutions for the next tweleve months!

Margaret

Linda said...

I would love to hear all about your own Happiness Projects if you decide to do one as well!!

Be well,
Linda