Wednesday, September 07, 2011

New Beginnings

"Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."...Nido Quebein




I have just finished reading "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin.  First off, it's a fantastic book and I would highly recommend it to any of you considering making some positive life changes.  It has inspired me to launch my very own happiness project and my next blog will fill you in on all the details of what it is exactly and how it will be carried out....

Yesterday was back to school day, the day when I have far more butterflies in my stomach than my kids do!  My daughter started "middle school" and she was quite excited, and came home very happy with her new class which she thankfully shares with some new and old friends.  My son returned to his same middle school, same classroom and teacher, same locker, and four of his old friends.  The only difference was four new students were added to his class, and a new bus route to get used to.  I was expecting this year to be his smoothest transition ever.  Still you never know what can happen, so yesterday I turned the music up loud, danced while cleaning and doing laundry, thought positive thoughts all day, and guess what...he had an amazing first day of school.  Thank goodness!

It is also that time of year to start thinking of the new fall television shows to hopefully get hooked on, especially after a long summer of nearly nothing!  I have selected three new shows to try out:  Terra Nova (airing Mondays on Fox, beginning September 26),  The X-Factor (airing Wednesdays at 8:00 EST, beginning Sept.21), and the one I'm most excited about - Person of Interest (airing Thursdays at 9:00 EST on CBS, beginning September 22).

I'm really looking forward to Person of Interest because it's starring Michael Emerson (aka Ben Linus, Lost), and I've missed seeing this talented actor each week.  If you enjoy commenting on blogs following each episode, and plan to watch this show, I would recommend Nikki Stafford's blog  Nik at Nite She did an excellent job with Lost and I'm sure she will with this as well.  I plan on posting comments there regularly and I can't wait to get started!

Sadly, it's also that time of year to say goodbye to some favourite shows - for me, that show will be America's Got Talent which will end next week.  Did any of you see last night's semi-finals?  There was one act that particularly moved me, in fact, they have all season - "Silhouettes".  Here is a clip from last night, and as Sharon Osbourne put it, following a standing ovation,  it was simply "exquisite":





I also loved what Piers Morgan said about the performance "what a story you told..when America's going through a pretty tough time, feeling down in dumps, a lot of people out of work and economic strife..you tell a story that lifts the heart and makes people proud to be American, and that's what this show is all about".  Very nice, Piers.

Tonight will be the results show and I can confidently predict that this talented and inspiring group will make it to the final four.  They also have a great chance at winning the million.  Our house will be tuned in next week, that's for sure.

Cheers!
Linda

3 comments:

Margaret said...

You got your wish, Linda. Silhouettes made it to the finals!
I like your choice of new shows, too. Looking forward to hearing about your happiness project..

Margaret

Deb said...

I am so inspired by "Silhouettes". I don't know how they can top this performance in the finals. It was beautiful.

Deb

Anonymous said...

First week of school can be a tough one. Glad your's is going good, my little guy is struggling a bit, but yesterday showed signs of settling in. I wish I had your attitude....

R